De Smet Jesuit Cross Country

De Smet Jesuit Cross Country
Granite City 2015 - Second Place

Monday, June 7, 2010

The Unusual Case of Zach Boyle

4 years ago I came into Desmet thinking of myself as a soccer player. Now 4 years, thousands of miles, and many friends later I leave as a runner. Running has had a huge influence on my life from shorter shorts to becoming more confident as a person. The friends I have made along the way are people that I will remember for the rest of my life. I would like to take this opportunity to personally thank some of these people.

Chris France is by far the most “out-there” person to go through the Desmet running program. However, it was France that showed me how running could be fun. France always came to practice with a smile and between convincing the team that he was ranked nationally in Tony Hawk to getting dreads he always keep the atmosphere around the team relaxed.

Connor Callahan the man, the myth, the legend. Connor showed me the hard work and dedication it took to achieve success. Running with (mostly behind) Connor taught me to always give my best and to always want to better myself.

Alex Potter, Ethan Stack, & Kevin Abernathy these men made my last year as a Desmet runner a memorable one. From the creating of this blog, to the organizing of the flag shorts, and to allowing me to give them a tour of NoCo during a run. These three helped make running fun and really helped in creating a sense of team unity

Bryan Traughber by far this man has had the greatest impact on me not only as a runner but as a person while at Desmet. The attention he gave not only to me but to each one of his runners is still something that I appreciate. He could constantly be seen doing something for his runners in between classes (even during sometimes). If someone asked me to name a hero of mine I could say without any sarcasm Bryan Traughber and with a baby on the way I know that he will be a great father. (still available for babysitting btw) If my future coaches are at least half the man T-Bone is then I know I will be in good hands.


Since I am being replaced this will be my last post as a blog master. Alex Potter my replacement will do a fine job and I have no doubt that He and Abernathy will keep The Milk Table alive and well. I would like to spend my last words thanking all those that made my four years at Desmet four years that I will look back on in fond memory. To the current Desmet runners and also to the future ones I encourage you to keep running, keep training, and keep it fun. It is what you make it and you have the opportunity to make it something great.

Peace
Zach Boyle

3 comments:

  1. Very well said. I would like to thank you Zach. From driving me around STL when we didn't have a track, to tring to explain to me how XC works, to coming and laughing at me at therapy, to the flow and the fro. I have made a great friend. Looking forward to my mom making you home cooked meals next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Zach. You are awesome. I could not have found a better person to help create this blog. Everything you did was great. I do not think I can put into typed words how much you have done for me. Again, thank you. Thank you for everything.

    You will be missed. You will be remembered.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks dude for the shot out. i would have posted earlier but i dont have internet at my place. thanks man. ill run with you guys when im in town. keep up the summer training

    ReplyDelete