De Smet Jesuit Cross Country

De Smet Jesuit Cross Country
Granite City 2015 - Second Place

Saturday, November 6, 2010

State Championships

On Saturday, the De Smet Cross Country Spartans' season finally reached the finish line after months of hard work. The Varsity team of Kevin Abernathy, Jacob Seiler, Matt O'Connor, John Madey, Nick Martini, Brian Scherping, and John Waller finished the season ranked as the 12th best team in Class 4.

Senior Jacob Seiler was running in his 2nd State meet. There was a big deal made about the changed to the course, and he seemed to like the changed.
"The changes made for a faster race, especially the first mile. They cut out a hill and some tight turns. They also made the end more exciting by stretching the finish. Overall I liked the changes"

Senior John Madey talked about how State was a great ending to a hard fought season.
"We completed a great race at the perfect place. The season couldn't have been completed in any other way. We showed that we deserved to be at State. I couldn't be more proud of our program for fighting until the end."

Juniors Nick Martini will use their first State experience as motivation to continue to work hard to make sure they make it back next season.
"State was just incredible. Seeing all those teams and more fans than I have seen cheering was awesome. Hanging out with my friends and just doing all of our goofy stuff together was pretty cool too. All in all it was a great experience and I can't wait for next season." Martini

"Running at State was so much fun. It was quite a reward for all the hard work that I put into the season especially getting to see Kevin win the All State honor. It was also motivation for me to continue to work hard this track season and to return next year for cross country." Waller

Senior Kevin Abernathy finished 16th overall, and received All State honors.
"Being All-State means a lot. An awful lot. It was the super long range goal for my Cross Country career and goes all the way back to second half of my sophomore season. To have actually reached this goal is really special. So much of it was not Saturday, but the whole journey leading up to it. This journey was incredible, and I absolutely loved it. It’s amazing to think about how far I’ve come, and just so awesome to have reached my ultimate goal of being All-State. It’s pretty cool to be up there with all the best guys in the state and to have my plaque on the locker room wall next to guys like Connor. I wouldn’t have wanted to do and couldn't’t have done this without the help of the coaches and all the guys on the team, past & present. Thanks to them for everything; it’s as much theirs as it is mine."

Senior Brian Scherping's goal was to run in State this year. This was his first year of running cross country after three years of soccer. That's pretty impressive. Brian proved to be a huge part of the team, not just because he was the 6th man at State, but because of the humor and fun he brought to the team.
"Being that it was my first year running cross country and I had the opportunity to run at State, that made it pretty awesome. I can say that the guys I ran with that Saturday were the people that made that experience the way it was. Without them I don't think that day would have been the same. So I don't think State meant to me as much as being there with my friends and Coaches!! I want to thank those who were with me because they were the reason State was so awesome!"

Obviously the end of the season is bitter sweet. On the bright side, most of us are lucky that track basically starts in a week, and we get to do this all over again. On the down side, the Seniors won't get to experience a high school cross country season again.
"I am going to miss all the Seniors, especially Jacob and Kevin because they have been there since I was a freshman and they are great friends." Matt O'Connor

Thank you to all the runners and parents who came to Jeff City for the race and supported us all season!

No comments:

Post a Comment