De Smet Jesuit Cross Country

De Smet Jesuit Cross Country
Granite City 2015 - Second Place

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Ellipticarty

Because of the Freshmen El Camino retreat, we were on an odd practice schedule this weekend. We went Friday at 1:30. It was awesome. We had the whole place to ourselves. Not a ball in sight. The guys headed out for a nice early afternoon Spoede and finished up with some strides.


Saturday
This day is dedicated to those of us who are a little dinked up.

Three guys on the team spent all or at least the majority of their time in the weight room on the elliptical or bike. It was Seiler, O’Connor, and Abernathy. Usually the having to be on the elliptical is no fun, but today was different. We had an Ellipticarty. It was awesome. I ellipticized for 65 minutes. Jacob spilt his hour between the elliptical and bike and Matt did the same for his 40 minutes. We had the place pretty much to ourselves. This meant there was nothing to watch, but we could set the radio (Y98 then JoyFM) and talk without the slamming of weights. We had fun while going absolutely no where. Hussman who also falls into this category came in to hang out with us for a bit.

Matt and Jacob were just using this day a chance to give their bodies a break for the pounding of running. Both have had a little something bothering them, but it’s of no concern.

On the other hand, my situation is a little different. If you haven’t caught on, I have yet to participate in the running part of practice this year. I have been ellipticizing all week and haven’t actually ran for a couple weeks now. This started when I felt some minor pain in my leg. Coach and I decided to play it very cautious because it matters that I can run later in the season. We didn’t want it to get worse before it got better. I had it checked out with the doctor on Thursday and found out I have tibialis posterior tendinopathy It’s tendinitis which was good news. I will be back next Monday after some therapy sessions to strengthen that tendon this week. By that time, I will also have some rocking custom orthotics to help my flat feet and over pronation which are part of the reason I got tendinitis.

I’ve missed running. But I missed being with you guys even more. I can’t wait to get back out there. I’m feeling strong and ready to go.

Quote of the Day: “I don’t know why I thought I could balance both of the weights there.”- Jacob commenting on when he dropped the ten pound dumbbells off the stationary bike. Before that he was getting in a quality double workout—riding the bike and curling!

Best Dressed: Justin Potter. Sometimes looking good means knowing what to wear when. That’s exactly what Justin did. He was well aware of what was going on at DeSmet this weekend and dressed for the occasion. He wore his green (the unofficial color of 2010 DeSmet) El Camino shirt from last year.

2 comments: