De Smet Jesuit Cross Country

De Smet Jesuit Cross Country
Granite City 2015 - Second Place

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Here It Is


Oak Hill
The summer miles have been run. The tempos at Conway have been completed. The redemption at Parkway Central was succesful. Now, it is time for State. The Varsity squad representing De Smet is Seniors Kevin Abernathy, Jacob Seiler, John Madey, and Brian Scherping with Juniors Nick Martini, Matt O'Connor, and John Waller. They are getting a great opportunity on Saturday.

"It means a lot. It’s going to be so different actually running I’m so used to just going there and not doing anything but this is going to be better. I’m looking forward to this experience and I will probably never forget it" Matt O'Connor

"Running at state is a huge deal for me. I was an alternate my sophomore year, and I thought to myself, “This is such an awesome experience, and I want to be back here.” But because I was injured last year, I came back expecting to go to state. I wanted to feel the excitement and hype surrounding the state meet. I worked hard over the summer and season to make it this far. I never wanted anything less than state. This was my goal from the beginning, because this is where I wanted to end my career." John Madey

"It means a lot to me personally to compete at the State meet in Jefferson City. I remember watching both of my brothers race there when I was younger before my running career had even started so it is definitely something I have come to value greatly. Being part of a team that goes to state is also something very special, as T-Bone said not everyone gets to go to state. The fact that we had to fight for our chance to be there for the 16th year in a row will make the experience that much more sweet. If there is a way to end my cross country career this is the way to do it! Enjoy the challenge boys." Jacob Seiler

"I find it a huge honor to represent my school in the state championship. Just getting to run with the best runners in the state on one of the hardest courses is extremely exciting. Just attending the meet the last two years was extremely entertaining, especially watching Connor finish 4th two years ago. There is so much tradition on that course and I know that I will never forget getting to run in the state meet. I want to make sure that we run a great race so that the seniors can leave on a good note and hopefully I’ll get another chance to run in the meet next year." John Waller

"To know that I’m going to be running in state is simply mind blowing. It reflects how I, and the rest of the Varsity team, have improved over the season. The only reason we have gotten this far is because we have been training to our fullest potential. As a freshman I would have never thought that I would make it this far, but now that it’s a reality I now realize that all of our hard work has paid off." Nick Martini

"Everything. State means everything to me. We’ve worked hard, and it’s going to be awesome. The varsity met a month ago, and we said: ‘The season ends in Jeff City crossing the finish line at State.’ We’ve made that goal a reality. Now, it’s time to go have some fun, do what we’ve done all season, and finish it up right. I’ve been waiting a long time for this meet, and I can’t wait to get out there and run with everything I have. Having my teammates on the line with me on Saturday means a lot. I am just very thankful for the journey and the opportunity. It’s finally here. Let’s Go!" Kevin Abernathy

Special thanks to Mama Madey for making us dinner tonight, and all the other parents who have cooked for us the last month.

Good luck boys. Running in State is something you will never forget. Have fun!

3 comments: