De Smet Jesuit Cross Country

De Smet Jesuit Cross Country
Granite City 2015 - Second Place

Friday, February 18, 2011

Bitter Sweet

To the DeSmet Cross Country/Track boys:

As most of you know by now, I will unfortunately be leaving the DeSmet family to embark on a journey to Columbus, Ohio (Buckeye country--my apologies to Madey) where I will be pursuing a career with Nike Running. As you can imagine, the experience has been bittersweet and emotions have been mixed. I am excited for the new adventure but sad to leave so many good things behind. DeSmet Cross Country and Track certainly falls into that category. It has been you boys that have made my time here so memorable. Coaching you has been a humbling experience and a reminder to always stay young and goofy. As I have said so many times, I have been very lucky to re-live my high school experience through all of the team road trips and day-to-day shenanigans that went on throughout the season.

But have no fear. Remember, I did not move to Tibet. I am only six to seven hours away and will return to watch all you studs run when I can. And of course to answer all of the questions Scherping has compiled for me. I could even teach many of you how to effectively master Super Smash Brothers.

To the seniors: what a group of dudes. You were the rock of the Cross Country's amazing run this year. The backbone, the engine--all those cliches. The blend of personalities in this class always kept me laughing. I hope to keep in touch with as many of you as you move on to college.

And the juniors: though your numbers are smaller than the other classes, the opportunity for success is there for the taking. You will be the top dogs and the leaders in a few short months. Take ownership of the DeSmet jersey and the tradition of this program. Take pride in success, work hard, and enjoy the ride.

The Super Sophs: Unlike the juniors, you have the numbers. You also have enthusiasm and a well-established sense of brotherhood within your class. Use this to your advantage. You are a great handful of guys, many of which I have gotten to know well.

And the freshman: I did not get a chance to know many of you very well and I'm not sure how many of you read the Milk Table, but I will keep an eye on all of you.

Keep in touch fellas, and shoot me some e-mails (rjgarwitz@gmail.com) or Facebook messages to let me know how you are doing.

All the best,

Coach G

No comments:

Post a Comment