De Smet Jesuit Cross Country

De Smet Jesuit Cross Country
Granite City 2015 - Second Place

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Jerk!

Yesterday brought excitement off the track. Today, the excitement returned to the track with some excellent performances.

For starters there was a three man mile time trial at DeSmet. Senior Drew Higgins ran a season best 5:38, and freshmen Plassmeyer and Grapperhaus ran PRs finishing just behind Higgins. All three of them stuck together and pushed the pace throughout. Coach Traughber was very excited by the big drop. Great work guys! Keep it up!

The workout for Team Kevin was 8x800 at 2 mile pace. T-bone (accidently) used an interesting tactic to help me get through the workout. On the 5th 800, I wasn’t feeling great and coach said he got numbers confused and that I was only supposed to run 6. I finished the six and Coach said he was mistaken in change and that the workout should be 7-8 800s. So I ran number 7 which was my fastest. During my one lap of jog rest I decided I wanted to run 8 repeats like the plan was when the day started. Coach picked up the clipboard back up and I knocked out the last one. The mix up helped me get through the workout. It was getting really tough on number 5 and I wasn’t sure if I would make it. But taking the last 4 repeat-by-repeat gave me the mental edge I needed to have a great workout.

While this was taking place at DeSmet, the JV Spartans were at Webster getting ready to race. Many of them took after Higgins & co. and set PRs. In the mile, Michael Callahan led the way for DeSmet running a PR of 5:05. Sullivan followed right behind in a PR of 5:07. Jimmy Reed, after missing some time, ran a solid 5:19.

The 2 mile saw what is probably the best Distance Spartan performance of the year so far. Standout freshmen Austin Del Rosso was running his first career 3200. Was he nervous? Was he scared? It didn’t seem like it. Austin ran negative splits to win the race by 15 seconds. His time? 10:21 – the fastest time on the team this season. In the words of Coach Traughber: “ridiculous.” Also turning in great performances in the 2 mile were McGann and J. Potter. They both ran PR of 11:06.
Awesome races everyone!

Quote of the Day: “I came to practice to work hard.”- Kevin to Coach Traughber right after the workout.

Title: After Coach surprising changed the workout, I ran by Potter who I was giving updates too. I told him that about the change and said: “he’s such a jerk!”

No comments:

Post a Comment