De Smet Jesuit Cross Country

De Smet Jesuit Cross Country
Granite City 2015 - Second Place

Saturday, October 10, 2015

Washing Feet

Finding God in all things.

I’m taking a risk by putting myself out there on this post, but here it goes. I noticed a picture as I was going through my camera when I got home. It’s of Neil Winter’s feet. Weird picture, I know, but he had just run most of the race with just one shoe on. I came back to the tent right after the varsity had finished, and I started to tell Neil that we needed to clean up his foot. The rest of the coaches and I were worried about any cuts or bruises even though he said they felt fine.
Anyway, I tried to get a picture of the carnage, and I wanted to clean his feet.

I was scrolling through the pictures, and it dawned on me that this was remarkably similar to when Jesus washed his disciples’ feet.

Now, before I go any further, I am in no way comparing myself to Christ. For one, I never went near Neil’s feet. I also know that it is know where even close to the part of the year when this gospel is read.

But I digress.

The point is that I never looked at the washing of the disciples’ feet with a sense of urgency and empathy until today. Yeah, Christ was acting as a servant, and there is a lot of value in that. However, He also felt our pain through his own temptations, and knew that it was urgent to clean us up. It’s like when you help someone after they had a rough day at school or work. You know they could probably do whatever it is that they are doing by themselves, but you help anyway because you can empathize with their exhaustion.

Homily over.

Blog post on the actual race is coming soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment