De Smet Jesuit Cross Country

De Smet Jesuit Cross Country
Granite City 2015 - Second Place

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Seeing Double

This is a personal reflection of my day. Today, I ran what I considered to be my first ever double. Once last year, I ran a 4x8 and a 4x4 at the same meet and this year at All-Catholic I ran the mile and the 4x4. But, I don’t count those meets. One of the two races was a 400, one lap; that’s nothing. Today was the big double, the real double. Mile & two mile, 1600 & 3200, 4 laps & 8 laps.

After school I traveled to Vianney with Goetz. I was unsure but confident. I had a tough task ahead of me. I knew that I would be up front in both of the races, but I didn’t know who I’d be racing. Watched the other guys run the first couple events of the meet. Then I warmed up and ran by Coach’s house.

Shortly before the mile began, I learned that there was a Webster runner who can run 4:30s. Right before going to lane one Rob gave me some great advice that I try to remember before all my races. He simply said, “Have fun.” Coach Russo gave me my 200 split and I was in the back of the race but right on pace. We came around the last turn onto the straightaway and the field put on the brakes. I came though the first lap too slow. I moved up into 2nd behind the Webster kid on the second lap. I felt like we were doing fine but I came through slow again. So I made my move and lead the rest of the way and finished in 4:34. This extended my winning streak to three races. It was a little slower than I wanted to be, but I was all on my own for the second half.

After the race, I had a nice chat with Coach and Rob. I always enjoy discussing the race and getting pointers from them. We talked about my form because it was a little off this race. Because I was slightly upset over the time, they reminded me that I ran a great race. I had an hour and a half before I was got back on the black track for twice as many laps. I grabbed my Lemon-lime Gatorade (the best flavor) and relaxed and talked for a bit.

What seemed like a short time later, I checked my watch and saw that I had 20 minutes before the two mile. I decided to start getting loose. Ran a couple laps, stretched, and some drills and strides. Before I knew it I was on the line again. Next to me was SLUH senior Bill Gabeler. He’s one of the nicest guys you’ll meet, and he brings an amazing attitude to the sport. I got have a nice little talk with him before the race.

The race went pretty well. Got out a little over pace running the first mile in 5:06. Obviously laps 5 and 6 came next, but I sorta fell asleep, lost my focus. I was just running and paying attention and stopped closing on the leaders. It was with about 700 meters left that I clicked back in. Bill was starting to fade and I realized I could catch him. I made a big move and finished the rest of the very well. I passed Bill and got third place with a 10:13. Afterwards, he told me how impressed he was with my move.

It was a tough day. I ran a couple good races and brought home a couple medals. All-in-all it was very good and I had fun.

3 comments:

  1. having fun is the only thing that matters. like coach says, "be happy, smile, and have fun!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. "DO WHATEVER YOU WANT, smile, and have fun"

    ReplyDelete
  3. A couple of great ones from T-Bone.

    And really that's what all of this is all about: Having Fun. But, you just have to remember that the easiest way to have fun is giving everything you got and running your best.

    The ironic thing about all this is that we are a No Fun Team. No enjoying. No smiling. And especially, No laughing.

    ReplyDelete