De Smet Jesuit Cross Country

De Smet Jesuit Cross Country
Granite City 2015 - Second Place

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Correr

¡Hola!
Yes, I am writing from Spain. I’m in Burgos now, but this post is about the run I went on in Madrid. After a very busy, first couple of days, I finally had some free time and I didn’t know what to do. So of course I decided to go for a run. I went to El parque del Buen Retiro (Park of the Pleasant Retreat). It’s the Forest Park of Madrid but not as big. You may recognize the park from the picture. It shows the lake and the statue of Alfonso III.


I was planning on a nice easy 20 minutes. I had been to the park earlier in the day and thought I knew my way around the park. The run ended up being just over 25 minutes, so yes I did get a little lost. But, it was a totally awesome run. I had a blast running for the first time in another country.

It was a really nice park. Shady with wide paths and tons of options. The one problem is that it doesn’t hold water well because Madrid does not get a lot of rain. This little problem was magnified because one, we it had rained the pervious two days and two, it started pouring during my run. I got soaked! I ran by this awesome turf soccer field, the lake, a handful of statues, and some playgrounds. One statue in particular stood out; it was a statue of the Fallen Angel, Satan. There are only three statues of him in the world.

Madrid had an impressive running community. There were a lot of people running in the park when I was there, and I saw a bunch of others as we were touring. And tights are all the rage here. The Spaniards love to wear half-tights and the even more popular capree-tights.

It has been an incredible trip and experience so far and we still have some more cities to go. I hope to get a beach run in while in Barcelona. And I got some awesome new gear that you will all definitely see when I get back.

Title: For those of you who are unfamilar with Spanish, correr means to run.

1 comment:

  1. Kevin

    Great to hear from you and even better to hear you are running in Spain. It is quite a thrill to run in other countries, I always enjoy checking out the unfamiliar scenery. We missed you at camp, but managed to get several good workouts in. We look forward to seeing you when you return. Keep the posts coming.
    Coach

    ReplyDelete