De Smet Jesuit Cross Country

De Smet Jesuit Cross Country
Granite City 2015 - Second Place

Sunday, July 11, 2010

A 5k of Angels and All-Stars

On Sunday morning I woke up early in my Huntington Beach Hotel to travel inland to Anaheim for the 2010 All-Star Game Charity 5k. I had setup my running schedule so that the race would be my tempos for the week. After hoping out of the car a couple blocks away for the Angel’s Stadium of Anaheim, I tracked down my number: 13 – Brendan Ryan. Being a MLB run event of course I had to associate my number with a player.

I took my place among the 7,000+ 5k runners in the 6 minute pace section of the start line. I was hoping to run right at or just under 6 minute pace for the race, but I wasn’t really sure how I would do. I was a tired from traveling and sightseeing, and still sore from the solo beach-side half-marathon that I ran two days before.

After words from former players and representatives of the charities the horn sounded and the race begun. I absolutely love the start of big races like this. I got to weave in and out of the masses. Splitting people and hitting gaps, so much fun. The course took us around on some streets around the stadium. I came through the first mile ahead of pace at 5:55. I continued to move up and pass the people that went out too hard. This actually sped me up as my second mile split was 5:53. The 3rd mile was the best. The field was thinning, but I was still passing people. We turned on to the parking lot and I knew it was too early for the finish, and to my surprise the course led right into the stadium. It was cool and I picked it up a bit and flew around the track as the grounds crew was working on the grass art. Coming around the dugout they had a camera and I saw myself on the video board as I finishing my loop. Made one more turn and finished up.

I finished in 18:17 which means my last mile was pretty fast, but I didn’t care. My tempo was good for 38th overall and 2nd best out-of-state finisher. I dropped over 60places and almost 2 minutes from my All-Star 5k time last year in St. Louis. I received my very nice medal and some free Nike socks.

But, I wasn’t finished I was doing a 5 mile tempo so I headed back to the start line and did an out-and-back on the first mile. A guy joked to his wife as I ran by, “This is his 3rd time through the course.” I flew by the rest of the walkers who gave me weird looks, only to be more surprised when they saw me running back at them. I heard multiple, “You’re going the wrong way!” and “Look at 13!” I enjoyed it.

Once again, I had lots of fun running out of St. Louis, and I’m glad I can share me experience with you guys. That’s one of the great things about what we do. It’s the same everywhere: St. Louis, Spain, California. It’s always one foot after the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment