De Smet Jesuit Cross Country

De Smet Jesuit Cross Country
Granite City 2015 - Second Place

Friday, October 29, 2010

Sectionals and Part 2 of the Dynamic Duo

Home Course

First off, congrats to Coach Williams and his wife who are now parents of two. Welcome Amelia Caroline Williams! Look for Amelia and Hannah to be the next Sisson-Robinson in about 17 years.


On to the race. The Varsity squad will return to Central for the third time to race, and the 100th time overall for the big race tomorrow.

Last race was tough, and we added 4 more quality teams into the mix. Jacob Seiler talks about the difference between districts and sectionals.
"Sectionals is like the big time meet. Our race last week was awesome and took everyone by surprise, this week we will be very on the radar and it's going to be a dogfight to get through. We will be racing against some teams that we have not faced all season so the excitement level is definitely high. I am extremely confident that if we run as well as we did at districts Sectionals is nothing to be afraid of."

Junior Nick Martini talked about running in his first big time meet last week.
"Last week I felt pretty prepared. I slept well the last night, had a good breakfast, and overall felt great in the race. This week I will try to get up a little earlier so I'm not rushing to get ready in the morning. Just being relaxed helps me the most."

Last week was also Matt O'Connor's first taste of the road to State, but he says being a two time State alternate helped.
"Yes it did. Now I know how awesome going to state is, so now I want to go even more and step up to make sure that happens."

It will be tough, but Kevin Abernathy is confident both that the team will run their best, and he will have a shot to go back to back weeks as champion.
"On the individual level, it couldn’t be any higher. I’m fit, fast and ready to go. Being back on the same course that I won on last week is another boost. As a team, it’s the exact same thing. We are all excited and ready to go. We know what to do and how to do it and we’re going to make it happen on Saturday. It’s going to be fun."

Senior Brian Scherping is making his Varsity return. I asked him what the game plan is, and he said he was too busy and to make something up, so here goes.
"I am very excited to be back on Varsity. Last week in the challenge race, I went out at the same pace as the Varsity pack and imagined I was wtih them. The plan is to be with the pack at the mile, then go from there! I can't wait to run run run!" -Brian Scherping

Parkway Central has become our home course. We have had practice there several times in the last few weeks. John Madey and John Waller know the course like the back of their hand.
"The Parkway Central trips have helped prepare me for sectionals because I know which parts of the course that I need to push myself and which parts I need to take advantage of." Waller

"Since we have raced at Parkway Central twice, I am very familiar with the course. I know where I can cruise during the race, and where are the best spots to pass kids up. I have learned that this course is not as difficult as I once believed it was. I am just looking to improve this week to help my team make it to the biggest meet of the year on November 6th." Madey


Good luck tomorrow boys!

1 comment: