De Smet Jesuit Cross Country

De Smet Jesuit Cross Country
Granite City 2015 - Second Place

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Fleet Feet Nike 2 Mile

Fenton City Park

Today was the highly anticipated true kickoff to the season. Many guys have been training since the end of May, and today was the first time to show that hard work pays off. Those competing took off for Fenton right after school. I stayed back to watch the Bull Dog and a few other runners get started with practice, and do their own two mile time trial.

I got to the meet right as the gun was going off for the JV race. Senior Josh Goetz and Adam Morgenthaler were near the front at the mile. They both finished strong after slightly falling back in the second mile.

Finishing first for De Smet and 5th overall was one member of the strong freshman pack from a season ago, Collin "Joey" Vieth. Collin was extremely excited about the time, a PR by more then a minute. Collin ran a smart race, coming in around 15th at the mile, then took off by himself when it was time to move.
"It just felt really good to keep passing people and it wasn't hurting or anything"

Running the race of his life for the JV squad today was Pat Callahan. Pat could be seen ferociously taking down his competition from the gun to the tape.
"In track I ran 12:06 and today I ran 11:21. I was tired at the end but not gasping for air so I knew I could continue my place."

After his first official race as a coach, Coach Rob Garwitz was impressed.
"JV went well. The course was flat and fast. Any time you put guys in a competition with other jerseys, they are going to run fast. Collin Vieth is a monster."

For the next race, there were several runners running their first ever race on Varsity
"I'm beyond excited. So much is on the line and I can't wait to let everyone up (as in not let them down)" -Seamus Hamilton

Track standout Brian Scherping was set to make his cross country debut.
"I'm sweatin' like a hog. I'm really pumped, but my nose is bothering me."

The Bulldog, who will make his return on the V squad at Parkway Central knew the guys were ready.
"Not much chatter. They are thinking about what they have to do. They're ready."

During the last minute words of wisdom and famous Coach Williams handshakes, Coach Traughber simplified how to be successful in the sport of Cross Country. The quote should go on the goals poster.
"You have three options. You can lead the pack. You can be part of the pack. Or you are not part of a pack, not helping the team"


All ten members of the varsity team ran extremely well. All member ran under 11 minutes. Senior Kevin Abernathy came in 3rd overall with a pure crazy time of 9:37. Jacob Seiler and Matt O'Connor came in second and third for the Spartans. The varsity finished a very strong 2nd as a team, and brought a tear to Liz Traughber's eye. We now know what the color we have to target this year.

Being the first race of the season, it is as good a time as any to learn what we can improve on.

"I will do a better job of pacing with a group next race."- Collin Sullivan

"It was way crazier then I was expecting in the beginning. I was happy I passed someone in the final stretch, but I wish I could have gotten a few more"- Steve Placht

"I won't stop when I get cut off next time"- Drew Higgins

"It was a lot faster than I thought it would be. When I was watching last year, I didn't realize how fast they actually go the entire race. I'll get used to it."- Brian Scherping

Overall it was a great day for the De Smet Cross Country Program. I leave you with some words of wisdom. FINISH THE RACE! Some people had too much in the tank after the race. That should be when you reach your fastest gear. Take advantage of the late start, and prepare for a rainy practice.

From Fenton City Park
Alex Potter
M.T.B.L.

Jesery Week: We resume tomorrow with Basketball.

4 comments:

  1. Great race boys!!! lovin the team spirit and the posts keep up the good work and hope to see everyone soon!!

    Just Do It
    Like A Boss
    -ZB

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud of all you boys! Great job. Baby T was kicking right along with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ZACH!!!! It's so great to hear from you! Thanks. Will do. And you better see us soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Five Star Post Potter. Possibly the best post I've seen since the start of Milk Table.

    ReplyDelete