De Smet Jesuit Cross Country

De Smet Jesuit Cross Country
Granite City 2015 - Second Place

Saturday, October 23, 2010

What a Day

Shaw Park

This week's meet action started on Friday when the JV and Freshman teams headed to Shaw Park for the Clayon Invitational. The weather was great, and this meet gave many young runners the chance to run Varsity for the first time. Running against the top 7 of many small schools and scoring for the Spartans were Michael Callahan, Steve Placht, Mackenzie Smith, Dan Bowman, and Collin Sullivan. Mackenzie talked about his first Varsity race.
"My first varsity meet was extremeley hard, I had no idea there was going to be that many people in the race. I did try my very best, because that course was extremely difficult for me because it was extremely hilly and very narrow. I think I proably could of relax my shoulders more, and not get so stiff in my neck, and myabe taken wider strides"

The squad finished 12th out of 20, pretty impressive since most of the runners had never ran in a Varsity race.

The remaining runners ran next in the JV race. Scoring for the Spartans were Pat Callahan, Collin Vieth, Tim Fitzpatrick, Drew Higgins, and Matt Beers.

Sophmore Tim Fitzpatrick ran the race of his life, setting a new PR by a minute and ten seconds.
"I just felt really good that race and the guys off the course cheering kept me going and the guys running with me helped me push myself when I saw someone and thought that I could catch up with them"

Senior Drew Higgins broke the 20 minute barrier for the first time.
"I went out harder and I fought through alot of the pain that I had. I also stuck with Beers for the first mile then work hard to catch back up in the last mile. Attacking the up hills and using the down hills also helped"
This was Senior Alex Potter first and only meet this season due to his back troubles. He talked about what it meant to him to put on the jersey and join his fellow Spartans on the course for one last 5k:
The night Tbone and I decided it would be best to stop pushing the issue, he brought up the idea and I have been really excitied since then. It felt great to warm up with the guys and put the spikes on. I ran a good first mile then according to Web MD I strained a muscle in my abdomen so I just tried to finish after that.
With his cross country racing complete Alex said how exicted he is for the upcoming track season:
I can't wait until the spring. This could be the most talented team we've ever had and we have a great shot to win confrence.
The JV squad finished 3rd out of 16. Great race guys!

Parkway Central- Districts

After a delicious team dinner that Mr. and Mrs. Abernathy cooked for the top 9, Coach Truaghber, Coach Garwitz, and myself,the squad was ready for the big race. They had their work cut out for them, competing against the "home team" and three ranked opponents. It didn't matter.

The rain that was predicted never came, and the weather was fantastic. The team followed the plan perfectly. Kevin Abernathy was with the lead pack at the first mile, and the Superpack of Jacob Seiler, Nick Martini, Matt O'Connor, John Madey, John Waller, and Josh Goetz all came in together about 10 seconds after that. When it was all said and done, Kevin had taken the individual district crown, and Seiler, Martini, O'Connor, and Madey all finished in the top 30. Kevin's performance earned him a spot in the Post.
"I knew I had Lambert (Eureka) when I came out of the woods and Coach Williams yelled "Do your thing!" at the 4k. I caught him and put him away with about 400 to go. As someone described, my face lit up coming around the bleachers as I realized I was going to win. It was fun and very special. An amazing day" Kabes



Matt O'Connor had a very impressive finish, knowing that he could not allow the group of people behind him to push him out of the top 30.
"I looked over my shoulder around that last turn and saw that huge group and I knew if they passed me we would be finished so I didn't let them and I was able to pass people near the finish."

The team had advanced, putting 5 in the top 30. The coaches were thrilled knowing we were to move on to Sectionals next week. T Bone and I walked down to the scorer's tabel, and when we heard "2nd" Coach ducked three ropes, and sprinted up the hill at 100 meter workout pace to tell the other coaches. The top 5 teams were seperated by only 18 points, and the Spartans finished 2nd. Senior Jacob Seiler has been part of the road to State several times, but this one was special.
"It is significant because this year, more than the past years, the question has been "will we make it?". Yesterday we showed up and announced to everyone that we are going all the way. It was just an awesome day for us as a team to show how far we have come this season and that we are not at all irrevelant in the post season."

After the Varsity, Seniors Seamus Hamilton and Brian Scherping ran the same course in their attempt to challenge for a Varsity spot next week. They made it so that the coaches will have some tough decisions.

It was a great two days for the Spartans, and there are two more weeks of hard work and fun to reach the ultimate goal.

From Central
Alex Potter
M.T.B.L.

2 comments:

  1. I think little Tommy Callahan summed the day up best http://www.eventsounds.com/wav/wasawsm.wav

    ReplyDelete