De Smet Jesuit Cross Country

De Smet Jesuit Cross Country
Granite City 2015 - Second Place

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Forest Park

Forest Park

Yesterday was the largest meet of the year, over 3,000 runners. De Smet ran a JV and Freshman team. I was taking the ACT, so Jack Husmann helped me out writing this.

Today De Smet competed in the Forest Park Cross Country Festival, one of the biggest meets of the year. Despite the muddy conditions, everyone ran well. The JV team ran first, placing 4th< out of 25 teams. The top 7 all finished within 20 seconds of each other, proving running in packs works. Leading the way for the JV was Michael Callahan, with a time of 19:05 and earning a medal. Also finishing in the top 7 and qualifying for the bus trip to Rim Rock Farm were Josh Goetz, Pat Callahan, Brian Scherping, Collin Vieth<, Seamus Hamilton, and Collin Sullivan. Collin talked about racing differently knowing he had to get that 7th spot.
"I wanted to slow down near the end, but I knew I was 8th on the team. I
could see number 7, so I kept pushing and eventually was able to catch him."

Not finishing in the top 7, but setting a new Personal Record of 20:00 on a very muddy course was Glen McGann.
"Getting a PR is a great feeling. It shows that you tried your best and are improving"

Glen is always one of the hardest working guys out there, no doubt this won't be the last PR he sets this season.

Running in his first 5k ever was junior James Lovinggood. James has worked very hard since coming out during camp.
"It was a little muddy, but I was happy with my first 5k and my time of 21:59. The team ran very well, and running with runners such as Nick Hapak and Justin Brock helped me to keep my pace."

The freshman team were able to finish a strong 3rd out of 23 teams. Steve Placht led the way finishing in 14th place. Patrick Burns and Blake Waters both were in the top 25. Matt Barkofske and Mike Del Castillo also scored for the freshman. Today's race proved that everyone is capable of competing in any condition.

Next up is Parkway Central. Pictures from Forest Park will be added to the Facebook page when they are available.

From Forest Park
Alex Potter
M.T.B.L.

No comments:

Post a Comment