De Smet Jesuit Cross Country

De Smet Jesuit Cross Country
Granite City 2015 - Second Place

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Sunday Conversation- Milk Man

This past week, I was able to email back and forth with... Coach Leeman. For the freshman and new runners, Mr. Leeman taught theology classes the last two years and was an assistant coach last cross country and track season. He's a Milk Table Hall of Famer and the blog title is inspired by the table he used to set up in front of the cross country office to sell milk. Mr. Leeman moved to Pittsburgh over the summer where his wife, Kim Possible, is originally from.

AP: How do you like Central Catholic High School? What kind of work do you do there and how is it alike and different from De Smet?
BL: Central Catholic is an all boys, diocesan high school run by Christian Brothers. We have a little less then 850 students, so a little small than De Smet. I teach one freshman religion class, and spend the rest of the day planning service opportunities, retreats, and and preparing for all school masses as the director of campus ministry. As opposed to De Smet, the campus ministry is not made up of several teachers, just me!

AP: How is training for the marathon coming?
BL: Marathon training has gone very well. My coach has been Tim Bradley (same as Coach Traughber) and I am very confident in his plans. The marathon is September 12th (today, update to come) in Erie PA. This will be my second marathon.

AP: What is the plan running wise for after the marathon?
BL: After the marathon I will take a few days off. I hope to do another in the next few months, maybe the one in Dublin OH with Coach Traughber, however my wife is due in February so that might not work out.

AP: Have you gotten a chance to get into coaching this year?
BL: I have. We have a very small team, about 20 guys. We have one guy who ran a 4:19 mile last track season so hopefully we will have a good season.

AP: How do you feel about milk being sold out of the athletic director's office?
BL: I can not support this. There is only one authentic milk store. That is in the cross country office thank you very much!

AP: Will you get a chance to make it back to St. Louis to catch a race this season?BL: It will be tough, but there is a small chance for a weekend in October.

AP: Any advice for younger runners making the jump from JV to Varsity?
BL: My advice is to be as dedicated as possible to your training, and making the most of your talent as a runner. High School is a unique time when many young men will be in the best shape of their lives. I would advise them to appreciate the opportunity that they have to run fast, and be on a team with other guys to train with and compete with. Make the most of your opportunity!

AP: Guesses for Baby Traughber's name?
BL: Boy or girl, I will be disappointed if the kid is not a Brad.

AP: Kobe or LeBron?
BL: Defiantly not LeBron (Mr. "The Decision" is a dive). I'm not sure if I can support Kobe for.... past incidents. So I'll take Charles Barkley for his golf ability and Shaq Daddy for his humor.

3 comments: