De Smet Jesuit Cross Country

De Smet Jesuit Cross Country
Granite City 2015 - Second Place

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

This Preview has been Approved for All Ages

With our first full team meet tomorrow we had the big Goals Meeting today. Once again it was "not a group project." Afterwards, everyone headed to Central to preview the course. This went really well outside of the JV missing a turn, but better today than tomorrow. There was a lot of communication between the guys so that everyone learned how to run this course.
-kabes-

Parkway Central

This year with most of the seniors missing Forest Park, a new meet was added to the schedule. We will be going to a very familiar course, Parkway Central.

With the meet being on a weekday, we are once again given an opportunity that we do not get when we race on the weekends. That opportunity being to wear Race Day Black to school in preparation for the big meet. Race Day Black was made famous by the great Blake Bender (2010). Blake could always be found in full black attire on days of or Fridays before Saturday meets. Blake also always overpowered the heat and wore all black gear to practice on time trial days, and did so at the Alumni Run. The Milk Table encourages all runners to wear black shorts/pants with their meet day shirts tomorrow to continue the tradition that is Race Day Black.

The team has raced at Parkway Central several times throughout the years. Junior Matt LaFever, Sophomore Mackenzie Smith and senior Dan “Bowman Dan” Bowman talked about how they get used to preparing for races now that they have been doing this for years, and how to get ready for Central in particular.
“Preparing for a race now as a senior is pretty similar as it’s always been. I still eat the same thing, stretch really well, and mentally prepare by listening to gansta rap. The difference is that now I’m in front and people are listening to me and following me, which makes me want to do everything correctly.” Bowman Dan

“Now that I have a few races under my belt, I have a better grasp over what works best for me in the days leading up to a race in terms of how much sleep I should get, what specific foods I should and shouldn’t eat, and what mindset to get myself into. Basically, I don’t have to worry as much because I know what I should be doing. Since I am familiar with the course and my own strengths and weaknesses, I hope to be able to anticipate how I’ll run in a given section and use this knowledge to push myself harder and pace myself better.” LaFev

“Remain positive, and keep my mind focused on the race, and do my very best. I will use the straight a ways to my advantage, and also the down hills to my advantage as well.” Mackenzie

The freshman will be running a 2.4 mile course, which is just under 4k. Freshman Blake Waters talks about what he has learned as the courses continue to get longer.
“I'm still learning, but I'm going to try to pace myself more and save some energy for the sprint at the end.”

Blake is happy with how the season has turned out so far, and has quickly become a part of the lead freshman pack.
“Forest Park went very well. I was a bit nervous at first, but once I got going everything was ok. I am happy that I finished in the top 25 (and got a medal). Running in a pack has improved my pace and pushed me to keep going. It has given me more endurance and has given me much faster times.”

Competing on school days for some can be a problem. It is a long day when you have to attempt to try your hardest in your classes, knowing that you get to compete at the end of the day. Others like having meets after school, because you are more awake, and it can be easier to stay in the routine during the school week as opposed to the weekend.
“I definitely prefer to race on the weekends, there are no distractions during the day and it is not that hard to eliminate the distractions the night before. There is no homework either which gives you time to hydrate, get sleep, and get pumped for the race.” Bowman Dan

“I prefer races on the weekend because I get a lot more sleep on weekends than I do on weekdays.” Mackenzie

“Personally, I prefer working on weekdays when the races are later in the day so my body wakes up and I’m fully alert at the beginning of the warm-up instead of being jolted awake during the warm-up.” LaFev

On Monday, the team reached the peak of their tempo training. Tempo pacing teaches runners what it feels like to run fast for a long period of time. All the runners did great on Monday, and there is no doubt times will drop after the fantastic workout.
“Monday’s workout taught me to go at my own pace and not to use up too much of my energy in the beginning of the run. It taught me to stick with my group because they run at my pace.” Blake Waters

“Yesterday’s workout was intense. It will help the team push past that pain that they will experience in the race. It will also help them by running at least if not more than 3 miles at a hard pace and will get them mentally ready for the 5k all out sprint this Thursday.” Dan Bowman

Special thanks to Dan Bowman, Blake Waters, Mackenzie Smith, and Matt LaFever for answering some questions. This is the first week all four responded! Good luck at Central tomorrow, and remember, Race Day Black.

From Parkway Central
Alex Potter
M.T.B.L.

3 comments:

  1. I want to send a personal shout out to the 2010 DeSmet Cross Country team & coaches before their first full-team race tomorrow. Remember your personal goals & reasons you all personally chose to run this year and you will be motivated to do your best. I've been away for a year and can hardly wait to cheer you all on. I'll be the one proudly wearing DeSmet "Bling" & ringing you on! Run men, Run!!!
    Laurie Madey

    ReplyDelete
  2. alex
    the reason we added the meet was not because the varsity didn't run forest park
    but because coach took Borgia out of the schedule so the rest of the team could have a rest week late in the season
    -fog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pat Alex is partially right they did do it for that reason too.

    ReplyDelete