De Smet Jesuit Cross Country

De Smet Jesuit Cross Country
Granite City 2015 - Second Place

Thursday, September 16, 2010

We Will Be Back

Parkway Central
After school, the Cross Country Spartans made the short drive to Parkway Central. Today's varsity race had many story lines. Juniors Matt O'Connor, Nick Martini, and John Waller were running there first ever 7 man Varsity 5k. Sophomore Jimmy Reed was running his first 5k... period. And of course the return of Senior John Madey. I talked to Jimmy and John at lunch.

Madey talked about sleep being the key to success, so he got into bed earlier than normal. He was not nervous at all, because he is prepared and knows what he has to do. He also had a lunch of champions, prepared by Milk Table COMMENTER Momma Madey.
  • Roast beef and turkey sandwich on wheat break with a little mayo and lettuce.
  • Baked Lays
  • 2 granola bars (one for after school)
  • Grapes
  • Mixed pudding cup
Jimmy was just anxious to get the show on the road. He "slept like a rock" and had his pre race snack of choice, grapes.

The first race of the day was the Freshman. The frosh continued their climb to the 5k by running a 2.4 mile course. Standout Steve Placht was in contention from the gun, and finished a close second.
"I had my goals from yesterday. I thought I did a good job of being near the front, but not being THE front. I was able to use the downhills well to catch people. I'll get the guy next time, but I'm very pleased with second" Steve Placht
"I was trying to push it, but I was out of breathe. It was a struggle, but I knew I had to get 5th for the team." Michael Del Castillo
Also placing in the top 5 were Blake Waters, Pat Burns, and Nick Trunko. These 5 put De Smet at the lowest score, taking home the gold! Congrats Freshman!

The next race was the Varsity.
"The course looks fast. The woods aren't very muddy. Weather is wonderful, great temperature and the sun is not bright" Matt O'C
The guys came through the first mile exactly as the plan suggested. Kevin Abernathy came through the first mile slightly ahead of the pack of Jacob Seiler, Nick Martini, Matt O'Connor, and John Madey. In the end, Kabes finished a fantastic second place.
"I had to remember what it is like to run that fast to close a race. I met my goals, and beat who I wanted to beat." Kabes
The varsity team finished 6th, as Jacob Seiler, Nick Martini, and Matt O'Connor also meddled. The number is very miss leading because "the plan" is not set up the same as other teams. We have not peaked, when several other teams have. As Kevin mentioned, this meet was great preparation for far more important races, as districts will be held at Central. Zach Boyle (2010 HALL OF FAMER) stuck around after he was finished with his workout for the day.
"I see a lot of potential for improvement. We need to remember that the varsity is
pretty young and still does not have much experience, but they will get there for
sure."

The final race of the day was JV. Sophomore Michael Callahan's strategy was simple.
"Win or die trying."
The "carpool group/team" proved to be very successful again with Brian Scherping and Michael Callahan leading the JV.
In only his second career 5k, Senior Brian Scherping took overall 6th place.
"He had a ferocious kick at the end, and that's an understatement, you can quote me." Coach Rob Garwitz after Brian used his 800 speed in a great
finish and almost took #5.

"He cheated." Brian Scherping
Scherping was sure he beat out his opponent for 5th place, but his mom's video proved he was awarded the correct medal. Brian's great time earned him a spot on the Varsity squad when we travel to Rim Rock Farm next weekend. I think I was more excited than he was.

Best Dressed: Both John Madey and Jimmy Reed came through with the long black pants to support Race Day Black, but John wore brown shoes, so Jimmy gets the nod.
"Race Day Black reassures me that I run for a purpose. The more people I see go Race Day Black, the more I see that racing is more than about me. I am here to help the team win. This is a team sport, and Race Day Black reminds me to run for my teammates." Senior John Madey
Quote of the Day: "I got poison ivy for sure, dumb woods." Coach Traughber

(cruel) Joke of the Day: A jersey number with my name on it.

It was a great race for all of the Spartans. Sorry for this being late, Blogspot and I were not getting along Thursday night.

From Parkway Central
Alex Potter
M.T.B.L.

5 comments:

  1. Great race boys and good seeing you guys! Keep up the training and 10$ for whoever finds my shoe at Rim Rock

    ReplyDelete
  2. OC
    @zboyle- ill take you up on that. ill be there

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey I wore black shorts for race day black..

    ReplyDelete
  4. jimmy reed is no senior...

    ReplyDelete