De Smet Jesuit Cross Country

De Smet Jesuit Cross Country
Granite City 2015 - Second Place

Monday, March 15, 2010

Return of the Jedi

There was lots of excitement at practice today. For starters uniforms were given out, and to the surprise of all, Varsity Cross Country jerseys were included for some of the team. One runner was so excited to hear this he high-fived someone and would have kept high-fiving if he wasn’t told to stop by Coach Russo. Okay, yes, that guy was me, but how could I not; this has never been seen before.

Next, the team was graced by the presence of two outstanding alums, both now running in college and in town on spring break: Connor- one year removed, and France- two years removed. It is always great to see faces of the past return for practice.

Now on to practice. We started with the new drills. We’re definitely getting better at them, probably because Coach had us walk through some of them. And that is where we find the Joke of the Day: Matt OC was struggling with the B-Skips and coach called him an Ostrich.

Then came a great hill workout by all. From top to bottom the team looked strong. Boyle and I convinced Connor to run one hill with us. Overcome by the presence of a Legend, we ran the 200 meter hill 3 seconds fast. It was fantastic; moments like that are to be savored.

The top two groups also enjoyed some simulated short track speed skating on the warm-up and cool-down. It was filled with tons of position jockeying.

Best Dressed: Matt L. He had the best coordination we’ve seen all year. His long sleeve shirt was a flawless match with the blue accents on his navy shorts. Excellent job Matt, keep up the good work.

Lots of stuff happened today and I wasn’t able to hit it all so put in some comments and fill in the gaps.

11 comments:

  1. Guys, sorry about the delay; I got a little busy when I got home.

    And if you're curious about the title, it was because the alums where at practice and Coach Leeman had a great Yoda impersonation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We decided the three things that get you kicked off the team.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is just a warning. coach told me that he likes take things runners leave behind. i forgot my pants in his car on saturday and he told me numerous times that he was hoping i had forgot about them. He would have kept them, forever. Just be careful, coach will take your stuff. Be careful

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah this blog is so dope dudes. i like the mention of me in there. this website is totally going on my favorites list and i will be visiting it regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Chris. We really appericate that and look forward to seeing more comments from you. If you ever talk to any of the other guys be sure to let them know. We'd love to hear from them too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Coach is so mean i wasn't even doing it wrong and called me an ostrich
    hes so mean to me
    im so happy connor was there

    ReplyDelete
  7. There was a moment of team bonding never witnessed before on the cool down but that will be kept to those involved.

    Also today was the last strictly hill workout we will be doing all season kinda sad

    ReplyDelete
  8. Look at me, my names Matt, I'm an ostrich.

    R.I.P. Hills... see you in the Fall...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh matt. you're just easy to make fun of

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks for the tip OC
    but i thinbk my stuff is too small for him
    and abernathy do you not know how to spell Lafever Matt L
    wow

    ReplyDelete
  11. hey boys i think this shuda be for some coinage

    ReplyDelete